Friday, 5 December 2014
I used up some of the last of my Children at Play by Sarah Jane for the first one.
The other side was taronga zoo fabric with an envelope opening.
So here are the new cushion covers. I wish I had taken pictures with them filled with cushions!
Friday, 14 November 2014
This gift was hand delivered today by my son and I think the recipient was happy.
Friday, 7 November 2014
I want to get back into blogging regularly and see if my readers are still out there!
I have been making stuff and repurposing stuff so I do have some material to tell you about.
I have been trying to make a teepee that is easy to put up and doesn't just sag for a very long time.
I looked up in blogland and there were no specifics really about how to get one that can be put up fast by one person. I found at first the teepee just slid down the sticks and was a pain. So I have an answer to how to fix that.
I have looked back at my photos and found that I started the teepee last October - not as long ago as I thought!
The first thing I did was buy 6 x 14mm wooden poles which were about 2.4m long. I think 5 poles might have been easier but I wanted the teepee to be nice and big - not convinced now that that made any difference. Then I cut out 6 triangles from a pair of curtains and thought about how to keep the poles in position. I used tabs at first like on curtains. I quickly decided this would lead to a saggy teepee so made tubes the length of the teepee for the poles to slide into. Here are the tabs.
Don't do it like this.
So, once I had taken it apart and made tubes for the poles it looked like this
I went for having a hole for a door.
Then I did a denim applique surround for the door.
It occurred to me that they would be too old for it by the time I finished it. Have you had that feeling?
Then a friend found a broken one beside the road (which mostly worked) so I was able to have a good look at it. I had looked at some in shops before but they relied on having rods of wood around the bottom... and I couldn't work out how to do these and be able to still wash it occasionally. Plus I didn't like the idea anyway as cjildren would sit on them and roll on them and it would hurt.
The one she found had the the poles in tubes but they weren't open at the bottom, so I closed up mine. I then worked out where I needed holes in the poles to tie string through (I had already had these but as the poles could move through it was always took ages to get it set up). I also cut the poles shorter as at 2.4m they were too long. Then I used other holes further down the poles to anchor the pole to a spot in the tube. This kept the teepee from falling down the poles.
Totes amazeballs right?
I know it looks wonky but it is just the angle - honestly (or photographer).
So, to recap:
- I found that I needed to sew up the ends of the tubes so the poles stop at the bottom of the teepee.
- Sew or tie the poles into the tubes using the hole in the pole near the top so that the the teepee doesn't slide down and wrinkle up.
- Make holes for string at the point near the top of the poles when you have worked out how high it needs to be to make the sides taut.
This should give you a nice looking teepee which is easy to put up and down!
Tuesday, 29 July 2014
So I finally got around to making another one and I decided to make it a sleeping bag and not just a blanket.
I had to do bias binding because of the rounded corners. I love rounded corners.
The squares I used were 3" square when finished and I cut them into 3.5" strips and used this method here.
And here it is all finished and being enjoyed by lalaloopsy.
Saturday, 21 June 2014
Well it has been a few weeks between posts. I have actually made quite a lot of stuff so thought it was about time I posted about some of it.
I made a baby ball for a friends baby recently and I put ribbons on it too for added interest.
I always wanted to make a pentagon ball and this is my first one.
I might even start blogging a bit more again. Just for no reason at all.
Saturday, 15 March 2014
First thing to do - print out a new pattern and stick it together and cut it out in the next size up as my child has already outgrown the old one!
Thursday, 6 February 2014
It is 3 tiers and next time I may go 4 or 5 tiers.
Join strips if you need to to get the lengths.
A 1cm seam allowance is used.
Sew the strips into wide tubes by sewing along the short sides.
In the top strip make a channel for the elastic by turning over 1cm and then another 2cm and sewing along the edge.
Gather the second tube along the top edge by hand sewing around it and pulling the thread to the desired size. Pin to top piece and make sure gathers are even and then baste and machine stitch into place.
Repeat that step with the bottom tier and then hem the bottom tier. I hem by hand but do it however you want.
Use 2cm elastic and thread it through and make the waist band the required size.
I used rick rack around the seams but any ribbon you had would work. You can use two or three different fabrics. I wanted to use 3 but did not have 3 that looked good together.
Stand back and admire your work
My little girl loved it and has worn it everyday since I made it, except the day I washed it. That is 5 days. Also, she wore it in bed the first night!
Yes those are skechers runners. She loves them too as they are sparkly.
I also made a few hexagons
And I got some fabrics.
Happy New Year! In two days time it is a year since I started blogging. Happy Birthday to Sew Paint it!